Friday, February 27, 2009

Riveting

Why is it that books always become more exciting with about 50 pages left? I'm not talking only about novels here either. How can a non-fiction book or how-to guide so consistently make you want to rush through the last 50 pages and finish it? Is it just the desire to be done? Is it a mental reaction to feeling only that many pages in your right hand left to read? Is it conditioned into everyone (or just me?) from reading novels that have a reason to be exciting during this part?

Massages are great. This has always been my opinion, probably moreso than most of you losers who only think that you like massages. I have, however, never had a professional one, only fake ones by friends and family. That has changed. My back had been sore all week and I got around to looking up reviews of local places on Yelp and it turns out there is a great place a couple blocks away, so I decided to go for it. Half hour appointment. The guy, who was unique(!) but good at his job, ended up working on me for over an hour and then trying to give me more of a discount. Basically amazing. When I am old and not poor, this is so a luxury I am going to take advantage of.

I want to try acupuncture sometime too. Just not at a sketchy place. Not sure if non-sketch places exist. Plus how much does it cost? One of you must know/have a family member who does it for a living. Haha. Not you Natalie.

C thinks my fashion tips to her are amusing and that I should put them up here. They're so obviously correct I don't know if I should bother with typing them up.

My American Idol predictions hit a bump this week with only 2/3 correct. Underestimated America's musical taste in not voting for joke guy whose name I can't remember.

Quickies:
School: Midterms last week. Midterms next week. Meh. I was annoyed with my A- in comparative politics. Should have just taken that AP test and seen if I could pass it. Bleh. Geology sucks. My professor has this verbal tic where she ends most sentences by almost-yelling "OKAY?" History also sucks.

Work: Has its ups and downs. With the stimulus done and a little bit less legislative craziness, we are having to send out a ton of letters, responding to all the comments about the stimulus (and random abortion crap). So some days it's basically dealing with letters all day, and that blows a little. Other days it's very interesting and I have a variety of tasks thrown at me and get to wander around the Capital grounds and get myself lost and found and such. Plus I got a new boss two weeks ago and he is starting to utilize me more since I actually know what I am doing (most days).

Baseball: Definitely want to do more umpiring this season, and have to figure out how to work that out along with a work schedule. It's exciting to see the umpire message boards start to come alive as the season starts. Always a fun time of the year. Also have to decide if I want to teach again this year for a week over the summer. Once again with possible job conflicts...

Love: Who the **** knows?

Books: [May as well finish where I started for some cyclical good karma or whatever.] Finished Telling Lies today, which was a pretty interesting exploration of approaches to discovering lies. Very technical and odd in some parts. Written by the guy who inspired the new tv show Lie to Me.

5 comments:

RJ said...

"ended up working on me for over an hour"

word choicing?????????
i enjoyed reading this though.

Crystal said...

hahah true that homes
who the hell knows..

please please put those fashion tips up :)

Also, on the books, it is(at least for me) an urge to KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. and sometimes, a belief that it will get better at the end

Dhishoom said...

dude perkalator. dont try acupuncture it dont do shit. my parents' contractor convinced them that acupuncture would cure my eczema. the first time i went the "doctor" poked my arm and hit some nerve that he wasnt supposed to and my whole arm cramped up. most painful experience ever. then he was like "i sorry" and adjusted it and it went away. but basically it turned out to be really expensive 30 min naps (with up to 60 needles stuck in me lol) that did nothing.

VaguelyCynical said...

RJ, it's called diction. haha.

Okay, C, but what about books where nothing is happening? Or where you know the ending already? I think it may all be about satisfaction of finishing.

But acupuncture looks so interesting! How much does it cost for a non-sketch place?

chery said...

fashion tips? these i want to hear.