Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Not Spellchecked

Okay, so I haven't written a real blog post in almost a month, but since you are probably just finishing up that one, I figure I am not too terrible. Yes, I did steal this form of joke straight from anything talking about Benjamin Button. Which I still haven't seen because the world hatesloves me.

I think it's fair to say a lot has been going on since then. It might be monotonous, but its a lot in terms of sheer tonnage. Work has been going well. I have gotten to the point where I know what to do with almost anything that is sent along to me, which cuts down on having to ask questions and is a nice feeling. Still some random things I don't know though. Getting lost in the basement of the Capitol is always good for a few minutes of fun before running into a police officer who knows the magical way out.

Last week was a big week. With all the stimulus action happening, it was not exactly a breeze, but still quite a bit of fun. Always more enjoyable to work when you feel needed. Thriving under pressure is always what I have felt I do best.

School is... school. None of my classes are very interesting. The one upper-level course I am taking along with my slew of requirement-satisfiers blows chunky vomit. It's sad too, since Race and Politics in the US is a very interesting topic, especially right now. Professor just can't get it together and actually teach anything. Seems to be geared more toward history majors who want to sit around and ruminate on the finer points of the irony of the fall of the first reconstruction being paired with the increase in competence of pre-elected black officials. Sounds like a barn-burner, eh?

I have been reading quite a bit in free time, trying to power through books on my book list. Feel free to check it out over on the right. After Team of Rivals took me forever and a half to finish, it's nice to speed through some books on other topics. I'm also finally getting back to my high-school norm of reading at least two books for pleasure at any one time in addition to my assigned reading. Yes, it is extremely nerdy. Yes, it is very fun. Yes, this is a large part of how I know so much random crap. For all you comm and psych majors, I highly recommend the Luntz book on the 2nd list, Words That Work. It's written from a right-wing perspective, but contains plenty of fascinating evidence of how our minds interpret different phrases.

I've been trying to break out of some of my wholesome dorkiness, partly through music. The famed Music Thread is providing a lot of listening for me lately, and I have been trying to listen to everything that comes across it at least once. I am not quite succeeding in full, but am doing a lot better than I ever did before, so I'm happy. Plus today I got hooked on some old Michael Jackson stuff for some reason. Caused nostalgia about the 2001 Anniversary concert for him and that led to reminiscing about 6th grade and the ridiculousness that was that year (hi Kathy, hehe). Plus downloaded some MJ for fun listening.

I have this theory. We're all a lot more nerdy than we let on (or think we let on, at least). I feel like the internet has created a generaiton of people with asocial habits that they hide from their social life at all costs. Or at least partially. Okay maybe this isn't a theory but just a random thought that is terribly developed.

Also that a de-friend button should exist in real life and act instantaneously. Would be amazing.

I have been failing pretty consistently at getting an adequate amount of sleep. Although really all its done to me now is shift how much sleep I need downward. I can easily survive a day on six hours now, and sleep in less on weekends even after long nights. Which is why I can be writing this after midnight, without having showered yet, when I have work tomorrow morning. Irresponsible!

I'm very excited for Spring Break. Even though I won't get to spend much time with most of you losers who all have vacation the week after me. At least I will get to chill extensively with some people. Hmph!

Some housekeeping:
Safe: Danny, Alexis, Michael
Barely out: Ricky, noop, Tatiana

If you're not Taylor Swift, don't try to sing her songs. Miley Cyrus, Stevie Wright, and anyone else, this is for you.

6 comments:

RJ said...

dude, a de-friend button would be so sick. i would put the de-friend button on the person's forehead, so when you defriend them you basically smack them on the forehead. how fun would that be?

said...

I enjoy reading your post :)

Although yes, I will agree with your random thoughts and say that part of your theory about our asocial generation is true. What a sad, sad world we live in.

But seriously. I love your thought-spew-blogs. They are great.

chery said...

last sentence: WORD. UP.

EMBRACE YOUR DORKINESS NATE, it's why i love you. (:
....& i definitely have a nerd side that i wish to indulge on occasion.

i can't wait to hang out with you extensively as we roadtrip it up to norcal!!!
let's talk soon.

VaguelyCynical said...

Hahaha, RJ, I think that already works in real life... they just hit back.

I remember talking about the "human network" and how much Javier hated that term because it was like digitizing humanity. Lots of hilarious Charles/Arnav arguing there.

KATHY! This is not a thought spew blog. I obviously planned out the entire thing in advance and wrote with a thesis in mind that I wanted to prove. How dare you minimize this pile of shit?

Indulge it Chery! We won't tell (unless it's really hilarious in which case we will laugh at you and enjoy ourselves).

Crystal said...

HAHHAA arjun's comment...

yeah I adore your "wholesome dorkiness" nate. don't let the bastards get you down!! haha if you can tell me what that refers to then I will give you an eprop

I agree with your nerd theory. Some people are just better at hiding it than others, I think. Flaunt it, I say, flaunt it.

VaguelyCynical said...

No eprop for me. Not sure what I'm even supposed to be guessing about. With that in mind, I'll say Audrey Hepburn.

BUT CRYSTAL what if they flaunt it through technology and alienate you as a friend? ;)