Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What 2nd Semester Will Have Been Being

This post was written in the early morning hours of January 4th of this year, looking ahead to what I think this semester will have brought me by its end (now). The title is in future perfect progressive, as it describes the ongoing action of 2nd semester before the specified future time of what is now now. Make sense? Good.

That was a pretty hectic semester. Taking 5 classes and doing an internship a full three days a week probably wasn't the best idea I ever had. The internship started out looking really promising but after a few weeks really devolved into boring monotony. Yeah, I met some really great people and made good connections, but I'm not sure just how much I really want to go into politics as a career now. I have always been cynical but the staff's total detachment from anything at all personal was really something I might want to stay away from.

Was killing myself to take full advantage of the opportunity worth it? I guess so. It's a great story to tell and if I can stand the people then the lifestyle the connections and skills I picked up are going to be pretty useful. Just knowing my way around the halls of Congress is pretty cool, although I have now been around it too much to be amazed by any of that. Maybe I am just as jaded.

It's been way, way, way too long since I have gotten to spend time with friends from home. My mid-march spring break wasn't great for getting to see other people, although the few that I did made that week great. Thanks guys (and girl)! I can't wait for everyone to be home in a couple weeks and for summer fun to begin.

Those of you who I have kept up with via the interwebs and cellular telephones are great and really are the ones who have let me keep going this semester. Big thanks to C, C, J, N, N, M, S (good luck these weeks!), and Z. Our assholic rants, deep thoughts, pep talks, chit chat, hilarity, bro talk, perspective, and amusement, respectively, have been my light. College friends are great, but are only so big in my life, while you all are much more of a rock. Please don't move away.

It's going to be really weird to have a job this summer, along with everyone else. I hope no one picks anything too early in the morning that would interfere with late night antics. Thanksgiving and Christmas were needed breaks from school and I expect you all to come through once again over the long summer. [This is an easy prediction to make. No way this fails.]

Classes went pretty well, but not quite as awesome as 1st semester. Spending so much time at the office didn't so much take away my time to do work as mentally exhaust me and make it so I couldn't do work as well. For how bad it could have been, this was really a pretty good result. Still means dropping the GPA from the resumé (rhymes!) but oh well, at least I have some real work experience to put on there now.

Another sacrifice of the internship was any umpiring I thought I could do while at school. Time to shake off the rust, get back out there, and have some fun. The ability to do games may be a breaking point in finding a job. If I can't be doing too much stuff, what is the point of doing any of it?

Have I changed? I don't really think so. I have a better grasp of my abilities and a bit more maturity when I choose to wield it, but I am the same person the vast majority of the time.

What I have left out may be most telling.

Look for a new post coming soon looking at how I did in my predictions and why. If you read this at all regularly then you probably know a lot of the answers yourself. Fill me in in the comments below.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

these tense changes confuse me